The First Day

I wish I could remember the first day,
First hour, first moment of your meeting me;
If bright or dim the season, it might be
Summer or winter for aught I can say.
So unrecorded did it slip away,
So blind was I to see and to foresee,
So dull to mark the budding of my tree
That would not blossom yet for many a May.
If only I could recollect it!
Such A day of days! I let it come and go
As traceless as a thaw of bygone snow.
It seemed to mean so little, meant so much!
If only now I could recall that touch,
First touch of hand in hand! - Did one but know!

Christina Rossetti

Comments

* said…
Christina Rossetti is really great. Some years ago I started to read a biography on her but left it unfinished alas.....

Architecture is nice, I'm a student of philosophy, that's thought-architecture.....

In Camus book The Stranger I liked veyr much very he talks somehwere at the end to the priest....

guess the paperthingy will sort out.one just makes it always for oneself more difficult as it actually is....

Some winterpoetry from C.R.:

'There is a budding morrow in midnight'

Wintry boughs against a wintry sky;
Yet the sky is partly blue
And the clouds are partly bright:-
Who can tell but sap is mounting high
OUt of sight,
Ready to burst through?

Winter is the mother-nurse of Spring,
Lovely for her daughter's sake,
Not unlovely for her own:
For a future buds in everything;
Grown, or blown,
Or about to break.
Sunday Morning said…
Hi francesca
Philosophy, i liked having it when i was in high school it is a pitty that i didn´t have it in collegue.
Because it helps us to see everthing in a diferent point of view, more abstract.

As you said "thought architecture"
Thanks for the poem.

Popular Posts